Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sleep Training

Alexa is four months old and, with exception of the last few weeks, she has been sleeping through the night since she was four weeks old. So it's time to get her back on track. I'm tired!!!

She was super cranky tonight because she had 4 shots today. Surprisingly, this made night one relatively easy, so far. Up till now, I had given her a bath, put on her jammies, and then nursed her to sleep. She usually nursed for nearly an hour, tanking up for that long night of good sleep in front of her.

Tonight, I took her to our usual spot and nursed her like she was going to bed. She was really tired and only nursed for about ten minutes before passing out. I woke her up and carried her back down to the kitchen, where I gave her a bath and put on her jammies. I brought her back upstairs and read her Goodnight Moon, and put her in bed. I turned off the lights and closed the door. I didn't swaddle her like I have done since birth. she cried for a few minutes and is now asleep.

The plan is to nurse her once during the night for now, and phase that out within a week or two. By the end of the second week, she should be sleeping through the night again, hooray! At that time, we will move her from a cosleeper next to my bed to a crib in Haley's room. And there will be much celebration!

No comments: