Wednesday, August 29, 2007

First day of Kindergarten

Today was Haley's first day of Kindergarten at Bentley. We were all very excited, but it was more like the first day of a new school than the first day of school. I had been feeling this and she actually verbalized it in the car on the way. "You know, Mama," she said, "I've been going to school for a very long time, so this isn't my first day of school, it's just my first day of Kindergarten." Smartie.

In any case, she had a great time and, partly because of our efforts, new a few kids in her class already. We had to take a shuttle from a parking lot 1/4 mile away (they didn't want to freak out the neighborhood with the hundreds of cars as is typical on the first day) and the only other kid in the shuttle was a little boy she met at camp earlier this summer. Once we arrived in the classroom, her name was at a seat at a table and she had a name tag waiting for her. Most of the kids were wandering around checking everything out, so Haley and I did that, too. Then she sat down, ready to go. It's amazing, cause that's exactly what I would have done. "Do you want to walk around more and check out the classroom some more, Haley?" "No, I did that." Her attitude was like, okay, I'm here, let's get this thing started. I feel that way so often in similar situations! A few minutes later, Mrs. Purcell said, "Give your parents a kiss good-bye and tell them to go to work!" So Haley says, "Mama, it's opposite day - DON"T go to work!" and gave me a kiss and a hug and out the door I went.

1 comment:

Stacey Kannenberg said...

What a great first day of Kindergarten! I write a books called Let's Get Ready For Kindergarten! if you think she would like it email me at Stacey@cedarvalleypublishing.com and I will send it for her to enjoy!
Happy Kindergarten!
Smiles - Stacey